What to do in case of toxic substance ingestion?

Both in the case of ingestion of toxic substances and poisonous plants, the most disparate changes may appear depending on the action of the toxic principle.
The most common symptoms are:
– absolute refusal of food, vomiting and diarrhoea (sometimes with blood); they may also be present: widespread bruising on the body (poisoning by anticoagulant rat poisons) increased salivation, muscle tremors and convulsions;
– in other cases the animal may appear severely depressed or even unconscious, with dilated pupils and have a below normal body temperature.
Do not resort to home remedies, such as the administration of milk that in some cases can worsen the situation by promoting the absorption of the toxic substance, or that of inducing vomiting, which in case of ingestion of caustics can increase the extent of the lesions. However, it is necessary to go to the veterinarian as a matter of urgency.

 First Aid